Pak police arrests man who offered reward for killing Taseer
Lahore: Pakistani police have arrested a
man who had announced Rs 20 million prize for anyone who
killed Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer for opposing the
country`s controversial blasphemy law.
Sardar Ebaad Dogar of Khangarh near Multan was
arrested on Tuesday shortly after Taseer was gunned down by a
guard who claimed he was angered by the Governor`s opposition
to the blasphemy law.
Taseer was shot dead yesterday at a market in
Islamabad by one of his bodyguards who was opposed to his
criticism of controversial blasphemy laws.
Police took Dogar to an undisclosed location for
Dogar had announced at a rally on Friday that he would
pay Rs 20 million to the person who killed Taseer.
The rally was organised by religious hardliners to
oppose any move to repeal or amend the blasphemy law.
Talking to the media after the rally, Dogar had said
he felt no embarrassment in offering the reward.
He said he would raise the bounty to Rs 30 million if
a resident of Khangarh killed Taseer.
Dogar had served as Khangarh district`s nazim or mayor
after being elected on the ticket of the opposition PML-Q.
He was accused of having links with the banned
Sipah-e-Sahaba before joining the PML-Q.
Taseer had angered religious groups and clerics after
he called for reforms in the blasphemy law introduced during
the regime of former military ruler Zia-ul-Haq and backed a
move to pardon Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death
last year for insulting Prophet Mohammed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note