Pak police arrests senior al Qaeda member
Karachi: Pakistan police claimed to have arrested a senior member of al Qaeda for allegedly supplying explosives for terrorist activities here.
"Baloch Colony police have arrested Adil Azeem Sheikh and found a Kalashnikov and two hand-grenades in his possession," SSP South Munir Ahmed Sheikh said at a press conference yesterday.
The militant was the "right hand" of Talat Hussain, the "supervisor" of al Qaeda`s Sindh and Balochistan chapter, Sheikh said, adding, he brought explosives from Balochistan and provided them to terrorists in Karachi.
The SSP claimed that Sheikh had received training in the Afghan province of Kunar.
Sheikh told interrogators that Talat Hussain had asked him to carry out the bombing at the homecoming caravan of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Karachi in 2007, but he refused to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir