Pak police arrests senior al Qaeda member
Karachi: Pakistan police claimed to have arrested a senior member of al Qaeda for allegedly supplying explosives for terrorist activities here.
"Baloch Colony police have arrested Adil Azeem Sheikh and found a Kalashnikov and two hand-grenades in his possession," SSP South Munir Ahmed Sheikh said at a press conference yesterday.
The militant was the "right hand" of Talat Hussain, the "supervisor" of al Qaeda`s Sindh and Balochistan chapter, Sheikh said, adding, he brought explosives from Balochistan and provided them to terrorists in Karachi.
The SSP claimed that Sheikh had received training in the Afghan province of Kunar.
Sheikh told interrogators that Talat Hussain had asked him to carry out the bombing at the homecoming caravan of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Karachi in 2007, but he refused to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka