Pak police charge two prisoners with Sarabjit Singh`s murder
Lahore: Police have charged two prisoners with the murder of Indian convict Sarabjit Singh who was jailed in Pakistan for espionage, officials have said.
Tariq Mehmood, a police official at Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat police station, said they have added a murder clause to the police complaint.
Sarabjit died in the early hours of Thursday from injuries suffered in an attack on April 26, reports The News.
The two suspects were taken into custody immediately after last week`s attack.
Police say Sarabjit was hit with bricks and other blunt objects by two inmates, who have been identified only by single names Aamir and Mudasir.
The motive has been unclear, but police say an initial investigation pointed to an exchange of "hot words" with Singh.
Sarabjit `s lawyer Owais Sheikh said his client had received threats.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon. He was hit on the head with bricks and his neck and torso cut with sharp weapons.
He was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former president Pervez Musharraf .
The outgoing Pakistan Peoples Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he is the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister