Pak police charge two prisoners with Sarabjit Singh`s murder
Lahore: Police have charged two prisoners with the murder of Indian convict Sarabjit Singh who was jailed in Pakistan for espionage, officials have said.
Tariq Mehmood, a police official at Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat police station, said they have added a murder clause to the police complaint.
Sarabjit died in the early hours of Thursday from injuries suffered in an attack on April 26, reports The News.
The two suspects were taken into custody immediately after last week`s attack.
Police say Sarabjit was hit with bricks and other blunt objects by two inmates, who have been identified only by single names Aamir and Mudasir.
The motive has been unclear, but police say an initial investigation pointed to an exchange of "hot words" with Singh.
Sarabjit `s lawyer Owais Sheikh said his client had received threats.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon. He was hit on the head with bricks and his neck and torso cut with sharp weapons.
He was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former president Pervez Musharraf .
The outgoing Pakistan Peoples Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he is the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read