Pak police charge two prisoners with Sarabjit Singh`s murder
Lahore: Police have charged two prisoners with the murder of Indian convict Sarabjit Singh who was jailed in Pakistan for espionage, officials have said.
Tariq Mehmood, a police official at Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat police station, said they have added a murder clause to the police complaint.
Sarabjit died in the early hours of Thursday from injuries suffered in an attack on April 26, reports The News.
The two suspects were taken into custody immediately after last week`s attack.
Police say Sarabjit was hit with bricks and other blunt objects by two inmates, who have been identified only by single names Aamir and Mudasir.
The motive has been unclear, but police say an initial investigation pointed to an exchange of "hot words" with Singh.
Sarabjit `s lawyer Owais Sheikh said his client had received threats.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon. He was hit on the head with bricks and his neck and torso cut with sharp weapons.
He was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former president Pervez Musharraf .
The outgoing Pakistan Peoples Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he is the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth