Pak police parade couple naked for intent to commit adultery
Islamabad: In a shocking incident, a man and a woman arrested on charges of "intent to commit adultery" were paraded naked by police through a town in Sindh province of southern Pakistan, according to a media report on Saturday.
Mumtaz Mirbahar, a trader, and a woman were arrested by police in Gambat town in Sindh on July 27. They were forced to walk naked through the town to the police station.
Police and local residents filmed the incident, BBC Urdu reported.
Grainy footage on the BBC Urdu website showed policemen preventing Mirbahar and the woman from putting on their clothes after being arrested.
Mirbahar said he was the victim of a conspiracy and that the woman had been brought by the policemen. He said they were both made to walk for over half a kilometre while several persons, including policemen, filmed them.
Mirbahar subsequently obtained bail from a local court though the woman continues to be in jail, the report said.
He filed a petition in the Sindh High Court that will be heard on August 8.
Residents of Gambat told BBC that they had tried to stop the policemen from forcing Mirbahar and the woman to walk naked through the town but they did not listen.
The report said another woman was arrested along with the duo but she was not paraded naked.
The policemen acted as both complainants and witnesses in the case registered against Mirbahar.
The policemen claimed they were informed by an informant that Mirbahar had invited two women to his home for "sexual favours".
Witnesses said the naked woman was forced into a police van while Mirbahar was made to walk in front of the vehicle all the way to the police station. The second woman was fully clothed, they said.
After reports of the incident emerged today, three policemen were suspended in connection with the incident.
Gambat is part of Khairpur district, which is home to Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre