Pak police seize vehicle packed with 1,000 kg explosives
Islamabad: Pakistani police on Saturaday seized a
vehicle packed with a tonne of explosives and arrested two
suspected militants, who were planning an attack, from a
troubled area in the country`s northwest, where two suicide
blasts targeting the minority Shia community killed 36 people
The vehicle carrying 1,000 kg of explosives was seized at
Bannu Gate area within the cantonment of Kohat city in
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Masood Afridi said two
suspected militants from the Orakzai tribal region had also
"The militants intended to use the vehicle to carry an
attack in Kohat or Hangu," Afridi told the media.
Both Kohat and Hangu districts have been declared "very
sensitive" for the Islamic holy month of `Muharram` and
security forces had been placed on high alert, he said.
Security forces had launched a search operation and a
bomb disposal squad was called in to defuse the explosives,
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into
a hospital run by a Shia community trust in Hangu yesterday,
killing 17 people and injuring 20 more. The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi
al-Almi claimed responsibility for the blast in a telephone
call to the police.
On Wednesday, the first day of Muharram, a suicide bomber
targeted a bus with mostly Shia passengers at a terminal in
Kohat, killing 19 people and injuring over 30.
Authorities have put in place strict security
arrangements across Pakistan for Muharram, which has been
marred by sectarian and militant violence in recent years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended