Pak policemen attack: Over 100 arrested
Lahore: More than 100 suspects have been arrested by Pakistan police in connection with a Taliban attack in this eastern city that left nine policemen dead, a top official said on Saturday.
"We have arrested over 100 suspected persons in an operation launched in the city after the attack on the jail wardens," Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen said.
Investigations suggested that the assailants responsible for Thursday`s attack were still in Lahore and might carry out another attack, Tareen said.
Several police teams were working with intelligence agencies to carry out intensive search operations across Lahore, he said.
Security had been beefed up at all important buildings, sensitive installations and offices of police and law enforcement agencies, Tareen said.
A group of 10 heavily armed Taliban fighters had stormed a private building in the densely populated residential area of Ichra on Thursday morning and killed nine policemen.
Nine others were injured in the brazen assault, which came days after eight security personnel were killed in an attack on a Pakistan Army camp near Gujrat city.
The policemen killed in Thursday`s attack had come to Lahore from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province for a training course.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan has claimed responsibility for both attacks on security personnel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram