Pak policemen attack: Over 100 arrested
Lahore: More than 100 suspects have been arrested by Pakistan police in connection with a Taliban attack in this eastern city that left nine policemen dead, a top official said on Saturday.
"We have arrested over 100 suspected persons in an operation launched in the city after the attack on the jail wardens," Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen said.
Investigations suggested that the assailants responsible for Thursday`s attack were still in Lahore and might carry out another attack, Tareen said.
Several police teams were working with intelligence agencies to carry out intensive search operations across Lahore, he said.
Security had been beefed up at all important buildings, sensitive installations and offices of police and law enforcement agencies, Tareen said.
A group of 10 heavily armed Taliban fighters had stormed a private building in the densely populated residential area of Ichra on Thursday morning and killed nine policemen.
Nine others were injured in the brazen assault, which came days after eight security personnel were killed in an attack on a Pakistan Army camp near Gujrat city.
The policemen killed in Thursday`s attack had come to Lahore from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province for a training course.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan has claimed responsibility for both attacks on security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader