Pak: PPP leader`s membership of NA suspended
Islamabad: The Supreme Court on Monday suspended a Pakistan People’s Party leader`s membership of Parliament on the ground that he possesses dual nationality, taking the number of lawmakers suspended so far to six.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry suspended the membership of PPP lawmaker Zahid Iqbal, who represents Sahiwal constituency of Punjab province in the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament.
The bench sent an order to the Speaker of the National Assembly that said Iqbal`s membership would remain suspended till he submits proof to the court that he has only Pakistani citizenship.
Once Iqbal provides proof, the court will consider the restoration of his membership, the Chief Justice said.
In a related development, PML-N parliamentarian Jamil Awan confessed possessing dual nationality during the hearing but the bench did not take any action against him.
The bench subsequently adjourned the matter till July 02.
On June 14, the Supreme Court suspended the membership of three lawmakers of provincial assemblies of Sindh and Punjab.
On June 04, the court suspended PPP leader Rehman Malik`s membership of the Senate or upper house of Parliament on the ground that he had failed to provide proof of renouncing his British citizenship.
At the time, Malik was the Interior Minister.
Following the action by the court, he was appointed a special advisor to the premier on interior affairs so that he could continue heading the Interior Ministry.
Earlier, the Supreme Court suspended the membership of PPP parliamentarian Farahnaz Ispahani, the media advisor to President Asif Ali Zardari, for holding US citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony