Pak: PPP leader`s membership of NA suspended
Islamabad: The Supreme Court on Monday suspended a Pakistan People’s Party leader`s membership of Parliament on the ground that he possesses dual nationality, taking the number of lawmakers suspended so far to six.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry suspended the membership of PPP lawmaker Zahid Iqbal, who represents Sahiwal constituency of Punjab province in the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament.
The bench sent an order to the Speaker of the National Assembly that said Iqbal`s membership would remain suspended till he submits proof to the court that he has only Pakistani citizenship.
Once Iqbal provides proof, the court will consider the restoration of his membership, the Chief Justice said.
In a related development, PML-N parliamentarian Jamil Awan confessed possessing dual nationality during the hearing but the bench did not take any action against him.
The bench subsequently adjourned the matter till July 02.
On June 14, the Supreme Court suspended the membership of three lawmakers of provincial assemblies of Sindh and Punjab.
On June 04, the court suspended PPP leader Rehman Malik`s membership of the Senate or upper house of Parliament on the ground that he had failed to provide proof of renouncing his British citizenship.
At the time, Malik was the Interior Minister.
Following the action by the court, he was appointed a special advisor to the premier on interior affairs so that he could continue heading the Interior Ministry.
Earlier, the Supreme Court suspended the membership of PPP parliamentarian Farahnaz Ispahani, the media advisor to President Asif Ali Zardari, for holding US citizenship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25