Pak praying for Holbrooke`s recovery: Qureshi
Islamabad: Pakistan on Saturday described US President Barack Obama’s Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard C. Holbrooke as a great friend of the country, and hoped that he would recover soon from aortic surgery.
In statement issued on behalf of the Pakistan Government and the Pakistan Foreign Office, Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi said: “Ambassador Holbrooke is a great friend of Pakistan. We wish him health and long life.”
Holbrooke, was said to be in critical condition on Saturday after undergoing aortic surgery at the hospital here.
A medical bulletin issued by hospital staff said doctors had performed surgery on Holbrooke to repair a tear in an artery.
The U.S. State Department said:” This (Saturday) morning, doctors completed surgery to repair a tear in his aorta. He is in critical condition and has been joined by his family.”
The veteran diplomat was admitted to George Washington University Hospital Friday after falling ill while at work at the State Department.
He underwent evaluations at the hospital Friday.
Holbrooke, 69, was entrusted with the task to lead American diplomatic efforts in the region in the early days of the Obama Administration and has since been travelling to the two countries and engaging with the top Pakistani and Afghan officials since.
He has also undertook travels to several European and Asian countries as part of efforts to coordinate the US policy in the region.
The diplomat is a former two-time Assistant Secretary of State, Ambassador to Germany, and was a key player in the Dayton Peace accords, which brokered an end to the conflict in Bosnia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan