Pak President Zardari visits Malala in UK hospital
London: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has met Malala Yousufzai in a UK hospital, describing the 15-year-old rights activist shot by the Taliban as a "remarkable girl".
Zardari, accompanied by his daughter Asifa Bhutto, met Malala yesterday at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham where she was being treated after being shot in the head on October 9 by the Taliban for advocating girls` education in the strife-torn Swat valley.
A statement released by the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust said President Zardari, along with Asifa, met doctors who have been treating Malala since her admission to the hospital on October 15.
"They were brought up to date on the 15-year-old`s medical progress and her future treatment plan by (the trust`s) medical director, Dr Dave Rosser," the statement added.
President Zardari and Asifa Bhutto then had a short five-minute private meeting with Malala, her father Ziauddin and her brothers Khushal Khan and Atal Khan.
The President appreciated the courage and conviction of Malala and described her as a "remarkable girl" and a "credit to Pakistan".
He also thanked the hospital staff for their outstanding care.
The Taliban had said that she was targeted for espousing secularism and Western ideals.
Doctors said the bullet grazed the teenager`s brain when it struck just above her left eye. She was flown to Birmingham to receive treatment unavailable in her own country.
Tens of thousands of people have since then signed a petition, seeking a Nobel Peace Prize for Malala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview