Pak President Zardari visits Malala in UK hospital
London: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has met Malala Yousufzai in a UK hospital, describing the 15-year-old rights activist shot by the Taliban as a "remarkable girl".
Zardari, accompanied by his daughter Asifa Bhutto, met Malala yesterday at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham where she was being treated after being shot in the head on October 9 by the Taliban for advocating girls` education in the strife-torn Swat valley.
A statement released by the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust said President Zardari, along with Asifa, met doctors who have been treating Malala since her admission to the hospital on October 15.
"They were brought up to date on the 15-year-old`s medical progress and her future treatment plan by (the trust`s) medical director, Dr Dave Rosser," the statement added.
President Zardari and Asifa Bhutto then had a short five-minute private meeting with Malala, her father Ziauddin and her brothers Khushal Khan and Atal Khan.
The President appreciated the courage and conviction of Malala and described her as a "remarkable girl" and a "credit to Pakistan".
He also thanked the hospital staff for their outstanding care.
The Taliban had said that she was targeted for espousing secularism and Western ideals.
Doctors said the bullet grazed the teenager`s brain when it struck just above her left eye. She was flown to Birmingham to receive treatment unavailable in her own country.
Tens of thousands of people have since then signed a petition, seeking a Nobel Peace Prize for Malala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh