Pak Prez approves special remission in sentences of prisoners
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari has approved a special remission in the sentences of prisoners ahead of Pakistan Day, which is observed on March 23.
A special remission of 90 days has been granted to prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment, except those convicted of murder, espionage, anti-state activities, sectarianism, robbery, kidnapping and terrorist acts.
A special remission of 45 days has been granted to all other convicts, except condemned prisoners and those convicted for heinous crimes like murder, spying, subversion, anti-state activities and terrorism and those undergoing sentences under the Foreigners Act.
The special remission will be available only if the convicts have completed two-thirds of their substantive sentence of imprisonment, an official statement said.
Total remission will be available to female prisoners who are 60 years or above, and to male prisoners who are 65 years or above and have completed at least one-third of their prison term.
A special remission of one year has been allowed to female prisoners who have children and are serving sentences for crimes other than culpable homicide and terrorism.
Total remission has been granted to juvenile convicts under 18 years who have served one-third of their substantive sentence except those involved in culpable homicide, terrorism, robbery, kidnapping and anti-state activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview