Pak Prez approves special remission in sentences of prisoners
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari has approved a special remission in the sentences of prisoners ahead of Pakistan Day, which is observed on March 23.
A special remission of 90 days has been granted to prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment, except those convicted of murder, espionage, anti-state activities, sectarianism, robbery, kidnapping and terrorist acts.
A special remission of 45 days has been granted to all other convicts, except condemned prisoners and those convicted for heinous crimes like murder, spying, subversion, anti-state activities and terrorism and those undergoing sentences under the Foreigners Act.
The special remission will be available only if the convicts have completed two-thirds of their substantive sentence of imprisonment, an official statement said.
Total remission will be available to female prisoners who are 60 years or above, and to male prisoners who are 65 years or above and have completed at least one-third of their prison term.
A special remission of one year has been allowed to female prisoners who have children and are serving sentences for crimes other than culpable homicide and terrorism.
Total remission has been granted to juvenile convicts under 18 years who have served one-third of their substantive sentence except those involved in culpable homicide, terrorism, robbery, kidnapping and anti-state activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’