Pak Prez dual office case: LHC forms larger bench
Lahore: Amid controversy over President Asif Ali Zardari`s dual office, a Pakistani court has constituted a larger five-judge bench to hear a contempt petition against him on September 05 for not relinquishing his political post of co-chairman of the ruling PPP.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial constituted the bench that he will himself head.
Muhammad Azhar Siddique, the chairman of the Judicial Activism Panel, filed the contempt of court petition against the President for holding a political office and conducting political activities in the presidency in violation of an order from the Lahore High Court.
Siddique contended that Zardari had not disassociated himself from his political office as was expected by the High Court`s full bench in a ruling last year against the President holding two positions.
He said directions issued by the High Court had not been followed and Zardari had not stopped "misusing" presidency.
He claimed the use of the presidency for "partisan political activities" by Zardari was illegal and amounted to contempt of the High Court`s order issued on May 12 last year.
He asked the court to issue a show cause notice to the President and punish him for contempt under the Contempt of Court Ordinance of 2003 and Article 204 of the Constitution.
On the other hand, Attorney General Irfan Qadir has said courts have no jurisdiction to issue notices to the President and the sanctity of the country`s highest office should be maintained by all.
He said the President had the power to hold any office of his choice and courts had no power to issue a notice in this regard. "Being the appointing authority for judges, the office of the President is supreme," Qadir said.
He said the courts should respect the office of the President, who is the head of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report