Pak prosecutor handling 26/11 Mumbai attack case shot dead
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali, the Pakistani prosecutor handling 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case and the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, was on Friday morning shot dead by some unidentified men in Islamabad.
According to police, gunmen riding a motorcycle fired at the car of Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfizar Ali in the busy commercial area of Karachi Company at 7.30 am.
Ali, who was driving, was hit by several bullets and lost control of the car. The vehicle hit a woman crossing the road and she too died later in hospital.
His bodyguard, Frontier Corps trooper Farman Ali, was injured in the attack.
Ali was heading for an anti-terrorism court in the garrison city of Rawalpindi for a hearing of the Bhutto assassination case when he was attacked, his son Nisar told the media.
The prosecutor and his bodyguard were taken to the state-run Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences.
Some doctors said Ali was killed instantly as several bullets had hit him in the face.
The gunmen escaped after the brazen shooting.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Ali`s son Nisar and unnamed colleagues were quoted by TV news channels as saying that the prosecutor had been receiving threats from a banned extremist group for some time.
His colleagues said he had continued pursing high-profile terrorism cases despite these threats.
The prosecutor was gunned down at a time when there have been important developments in both the Mumbai attack case and Bhutto assassination case.
On April 13, a private witness from Karachi had identified Shahid Jamil Riaz, one of the accused in the Mumbai attack case, as the person who had bought inflatable boats used by the terrorists who assaulted India`s financial hub in November 2008.
The Federal Investigation Agency had recently begun interrogating former president Pervez Musharraf over the 2007 assassination of Bhutto.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room