Pak protesters refuse to leave avenue despite court orders
Islamabad: Pakistan's opposition leader Imran Khan and fiery cleric Tahir-ul Qadri have refused to vacate the Constitution Avenue here despite orders by the Supreme Court, the government's chief law officer told the court on Tuesday.
Attorney General Salman Butt told the apex court that Qadri's Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) and Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) were not ready to leave despite offers to shift their protests to an alternative place.
Thousands of supporters of Khan and Qadri have been staging a sit-in for a week on the Constitution Avenue on which the Parliament and the Supreme Court are situated. The protesters have blocked the main avenue for all traffic.
Butt yesterday met the lawyers of the protesters in the Pakistan Bar Council Library to seek compliance of court orders but was instead told that the protest leaders would not shift to another place.
Deputy Attorney General Sajid Ilyas Bhatti submitted a report to the court on the outcome of the meeting.
According to the report, Butt had asked the protesters to shift either to the new Parade Ground near Islamabad Highway or the Sports complex.
It also said that PTI lawyers said that their workers have not blocked any routes, while the PAT refused to leave but promised to clear the main road for traffic.
The five-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Nasirul Mulk yesterday issued a 24-hour deadline for protesters to clear the Constitution Avenue and sought a report about implementation of orders.
Mulk had said that the fence of the court was being used by the protesters to dry their clothes.
Supporters of Khan and Qadri have been camping outside the Parliament building here for the last 12 days. They are calling for Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's resignation, alleging vote rigging in last year's general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly