Pak Punjab Governor Salman Taseer assassinated
Islamabad: In Pakistan’s tryst with terrorism, Salman Taseer, Governor of country’s largest province Punjab, was killed by his own security guard near a coffee shop in Koshar Market in the heart of Islamabad on Tuesday. Taseer was a close aide of Pakistani President Asif Zardari. This was the first brazen political assassination since the gunning down of Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
Taseer, 66, was getting into his car when the guard from Punjab Police`s Elite Force shot him with an assault rifle pumping more than 25 bullets at close range. The Governor was rushed to Polyclinic Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, his spokesman Farrukh Shah said. Doctors made an unsuccessful attempt to revive him before declaring him dead.
The guard who is believed to have shot him is named Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri. He has surrendered before the police and confessed to his crime. Qadri joined the Punjab Constabulary in 2003 and was deputed to an Elite Force platoon in 2008. He had been part of the Governor’s security detail on several occasions in the recent past.
“I killed the Governor because he termed the blasphemy law as Kala Kanoon (black law),” Malik Mumtaz said to the police.
The confession is in line with theory that the assassination came due to Taseer’s liberal outlook. It is believed that Salman Taseer had indeed termed blasphemy laws as a black law, thereby offending hardliners.
He had also assured his support to a minority religion woman who had been arrested under the draconian blasphemy law.
Reacting to the news, Pakistan Interior Minter Rehman Malik said, “We have lost a good administrator.”
Salman Taseer’s friend Dr Sharfuddin added, “These are same people who had killed Benazir Bhutto and are trying to turn Pakistan into Afghanistan. And these are terrorists in the garb of Islamists.”
The Interior Minister set up a joint investigation team led by a senior police official to probe the assassination. The team will include representatives of the Inter-Services Intelligence and Intelligence Bureau.
"We want to ascertain whether it was an individual act or someone got him to kill (the Governor)," Malik said.
The entire area has been cordoned off. The entire security convoy has been detained.
The police has taken note of the eyewitness’ account.
Taseer is survived by wife Amna and their six children. It may noted that Salman Taseer is the former husband of prominent Indian journalist Tavleen Singh and father of author Aatish Taseer.
Observers said Taseer`s death marked a setback for a liberal Pakistan as he often spoken out for women and religious minorities.
The assassination also reflected the deep divide in society over an emotional issue like the blasphemy law, they said.
The government announced three days of mourning and said Taseer would be given a state funeral.
The killing rattled a country already plagued by political crisis and a surge in militancy. The Pakistani government under Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani is battling hard to garner support after it was reduced to a minority with the MQM pulling out.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened