‘Pak Punjab Govt’s new ‘nikah’ clauses to increase forced marriage’
Lahore: The Pakistan Punjab province’ government’s decision to include eight new clauses in the ‘nikah’ form has evoked severe discontent among people, as they believe that the new sections would increase forced marriages.
Former Information Minister Sherry Rehman voiced her reservation over the introduction of new clauses, terming the step against women’s freedom.
“The originators of such designs are the people who do not wish women to have their due status in the society,” The Daily Times quoted Rehman, as saying.
“The country at present is facing a number of challenges and some forces want to further aggravate the situation by instigating new issues,” the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader said.
Noted social worker Farzana Bari also criticised the move.
“It seems as if the Punjab government is not aware of the ground realities of the high illiteracy rate, which prevails in the society,” Bari said while referring to the clauses such as the signatures of the parents on the nikah form and writing of the groom’s date of birth.
Bari, however, backed clauses such as mandatory blood tests of the bride and groom, saying “it will help in uncovering diseases like AIDS”
“The clause to attach pictures on the nikah form would be beneficial in discouraging bogus marriage certificates,” she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum