Pak releases cleric in Christian girl blasphemy case
Islamabad: A Pakistani cleric who falsely accused a minor Christian girl of blasphemy by framing evidence against her was freed from jail on Friday after he was granted bail by a court in the federal capital.
Khalid Chishti was detained on September 1 on a charge of blasphemy for desecrating the Quran and planting evidence that was used against the girl Rimsha Masih.
He was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two other men gave statements that Chishti had framed Masih.
Subsequently, two of the witnesses withdrew their statements and a court accepted Chishti`s application for bail. He was freed after he paid a bond of Rs 200,000.
Masih spent three weeks in a jail after being arrested on August 16 for allegedly burning pages of a religious text.
After being freed on bail, she and her family were taken by authorities to an undisclosed location for security reasons.
The girl`s case has also been transferred to a juvenile court after a medical board concluded that she was 14 and that her mental development did not correspond with her age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH