`Pak religious groups against Sarabjit`s release`
New Delhi: Pakistan`s human rights activist, Ansar Burney, on Thursday admitted that his country’s government is under pressure from religious extremists who are against the release of Indian prisoner, Sarabjit Singh.
In the meantime, another freed Indian prisoner, Surjeet Singh, said that the Pakistani media is anti-Sarabjit and resistance in various sections of the Army, ISI, civil groups was leading to a delay in Sarabjit’s release.
He also stated that the mix-up by the Pakistan authorities happened due to similar names.
Surjeet further vowed to do everything to secure the release of his compatriot Sarabjit Singh, languishing in the Kot Lakpat jail in Pakistan for the past 22 years.
Surjeet crossed the Wagah Border into India yesterday.
He also expressed optimism that Sarabjit Singh would be released soon.
Speaking to the media, Singh, now 69 years old, said that both sides should release prisoners.
“India should release Pakistani prisoners and Pakistan should release Indian prisoners, that is all I want to say,” he said in Punjabi.
When quizzed about Sarabjit Singh’s well-being, he said, “Sarabjit is in good health and he met him on several occasions.”
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read