Pak restricts US officials` movement at Islamabad airport
Islamabad: Pakistan has restricted the hitherto unfettered movement of US and UN officials at the international airport here, citing misuse of the facility that was granted in the wake of the 9/11 terror attack.
"All US officials and diplomats will now have to go through normal airport checks at the Islamabad airport as the government has decided to withdraw the extraordinary concession offered to them after 9/11 by former president Pervez Musharraf," The News said Wednesday.
Under the concessions, US officials and their vehicles enjoyed unchecked arrivals and departures and no scrutiny of their luggage was done at the Benazir Bhutto International Airport (BBIA) here.
"On the direction of the defence ministry, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has issued orders for the withdrawal of this facility as of Oct 15. The decision has been taken after reports that this concession was misused in the past," the newspaper said.
New standard operating procedures (SOPs) have been devised and notified that would now make US and UN officials to go through normal checks.
Gammon gate of the BBIA, which was basically meant for catering services and had a direct outside airport link without passing through immigration and customs checks, was specified for US and UN officials too.
"This special facility allowed the Americans to have unchecked arrivals and departures to and from the Islamabad airport," The News said.
It quoted sources to say this facility "was massively misused and there were reports of even unauthorised and undeclared import of sensitive material and equipment, including weapons. This fact raised serious alarm bells among the Pakistani authorities and forced them to withdraw the facility that was given to the Americans by the former dictator without proper consultation and consideration".
This concession is not even available to the president and prime minister of Pakistan who, though they enjoy full protocol and VVIP treatment, go through the mandatory checks in the US, the sources said.
"Interestingly, Musharraf offered such concessions to the Americans despite Washington`s extraordinary strict immigration and security checks from all those coming from Pakistan, including VVIPs. During one of Musharraf`s official tours to the US, his media spokesman Rashid Qureshi, who was then a brigadier, was made to untie his military boots at the Dallas Airport," the newspaper pointed out.
In view of the security concerns, the CAA issued an order Sep 25 announcing the withdrawal of Gammon Gate facility. The operative part of the order reads: "Pursuant to the instructions received from the Defence Ministry vide letter No 2-1/2009-ASF dated Sep 16, 2009, the facility of use of Gammon Gate by the officials\vehicles of the US embassy and UN missions may be withdrawn w.e.f Oct 15, 2009."
Government authorities admit that customs and immigration authorities have no arrangements or staff to check the movement and crew of US and UN officials.
"The equipment related to aeroplanes, the crew and their personal luggage also passes through this gate. During checking, US vehicles and the luggage they carry to and from apron area are not properly searched/checked by the (security) staff deputed to control the entry/exit at the Gammon Gate," one document says, adding that in view of this, the use of the gate by foreigners should be stopped forthwith as it posed a serious security hazard.
US embassy spokesman Richard Snelsire said he did not know about the extraordinary concession offered to the US officials and diplomats at the BBIA. He said what he knew was the fact that even when senior US officials arrived at the Chaklala military airbase in adjacent Rawalpindi, they went through normal immigration and customs checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow