Pak rolls out F-16 combat jets
Islamabad: The first batch of 18 F-16
combat jets ordered by Pakistan were on Tuesday rolled out during a
ceremony in the United States that was attended by Air Chief
Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman.
Speaking on the occasion, Suleman said Pakistan`s
programme to acquire new F-16 jets has seen "many ups and
downs" since the signing of the contract.
"The rollout of the first aircraft shows that the
programme is on track," he said.
The Block-52 F-16D jets were rolled out at a ceremony
held at the Lockheed Martin Aeronautics facility at Fort Worth
in Texas, said a statement from the Pakistan Air Force.
Suleman was the chief guest at the ceremony.
Pakistan had signed a contract with the US government
for 18 F-16 C/D aircraft in in September 2006.
These jets will bolster the PAF`s fleet of combat
aircraft and will enable it to undertake a "wide variety of
missions across the entire spectrum of operations", the
After the testing and integration of new systems, the
first batch of F-16 C/D aircraft is scheduled to arrive in
Pakistan in June next year. The delivery of all 18 jets is
planned to be completed by December 2010.
Besides Suleman, the ceremony was attended by Gen
David Petraeus, chief of the US military`s Central Commmand
and Pakistan`s Ambassador to the US Hussain Haqqani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins