Pak rules out possibility of talks with militant groups
Islamabad: The Pakistan government today
ruled out the possibility of talks with militant groups that
do not surrender their arms and accept the state`s writ,
saying talks could not be held with terrorists who had
attacked shrines and places of worship.
Briefing reporters after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani met provincial Chief Ministers to review the security
situation in the wake of last week`s suicide bombing of the
Data Darbar shrine in Lahore, Information Minister Qamar Zaman
Kaira said that no talks could be held with militants and
terrorists who were attacking shrines and mosques.
The government`s `3D` policy of dialogue, development
and deterrence will continue and it is prepared to hold talks
with militants who accept the state`s writ and surrender their
weapons, Kaira said.
"The way is open for talks with those who surrender,"
The government will hold consultations with all
stakeholders to frame a policy to tackle terrorism, he said.
The Prime Minister had also cleared a proposal for reforming
madrassa after holding further consultations with religious
leaders, he said.
Kaira described the terrorist attack on Data Darbar,
which killed 45 people, as an attempt to ignite sectarian
Interior Minister Rehman Malik said one of the two
suicide bombers involved in the attack had been identified.
The trail in all attacks involving suicide bombers
usually leads to the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, Malik
Banned groups like the Sipah-e-Sahaba and
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi had formed a nexus with the Pakistani
Taliban and al-Qaeda, he said.
These groups were recruiting new members in Punjab,
Sindh, Balochistan and other parts of Pakistan and sending
them to the tribal areas for training, he said.
"(Militant commander) Ilyas Kashmiri is in the tribal
areas and he has formed a new organisation. The recruits are
trained and sent back to Punjab and other parts (of Pakistan).
They form sleeper cells which are activated when needed,"
Prime Minister Gilani had ordered authorities to take
action against proscribed organisations, whose activities will
be stopped, Malik said.
However, he said no operations would be launched in
Punjab, where action will be taken by the provincial
government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users