Pak says it has not imposed conditions for Afghan peace
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday rejected Afghanistan`s contention that Islamabad had imposed pre-conditions, including cutting ties with India, for the peace process in the war-torn country.
Referring to a statement attributed to the spokesman of the Afghan President that Pakistan had imposed pre-conditions for the peace process, Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry said that Islamabad had not "laid down any pre-conditions for the peace process".
"Pakistan is wholeheartedly supporting and facilitating the peace process without any conditions or preference for any particular group or party," Chaudhry said in a statement issued this evening.
"Pakistan did not demand that Afghanistan should `cut all ties to India`. Pakistan has no objection or issue with Afghanistan developing relations with any country. We have only stressed that those external forces which are using the soil of Afghanistan to destabilise Pakistan should be discouraged," he said.
Chaudhry further said the proposal for a "Strategic Partnership Agreement" between Pakistan and Afghanistan had emanated from President Hamid Karzai and the Pakistan government had welcomed the proposal.
On the issue of sending Afghan Army officers to Pakistan for training, Chaudhry said this was made by the Pakistan government "in goodwill to contribute to the training needs of the security forces of Afghanistan".
"This was not a pre-condition but an offer in goodwill. Pakistan remains fully committed to facilitating peace, reconciliation and stability in Afghanistan. Pakistan`s offers of goodwill should not be construed as pre-conditions," he said.
Over the past few days, the Afghan government cancelled a visit to Pakistan by its army officers over cross-border artillery shelling by Pakistani troops.
Pakistan said its troops had only responded to actions by militants based on Afghan soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly