Pak SC adjourns Lakhvi`s hearing in a 26/11case
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Tuesday
adjourned for two weeks the hearing of LeT commander Zakiur
Rehman Lakhvi`s petition seeking his acquittal in a case
related to the Mumbai attacks to study the confessional
statement of Ajmal Kasab, handed out death sentence in India.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhry decided to put off the matter for a fortnight after
receiving a copy of Kasab`s confessional statement from
Lakhvi`s counsel Khwaja Sultan.
In his petition, Lakhvi had sought his acquittal in a
case in a Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism court and the
termination of criminal proceedings against him.
Lakhvi`s counsel had also asked the apex court to bar
the anti-terrorism court and the prosecution from using
Kasab’s statement against his client because it was recorded
by an Indian magistrate.
During a hearing last week, the bench had sought a
copy of Kasab`s confessional statement as it was linked to an
important case in Pakistan.
On receiving a copy of Kasab`s statement, Chief
Justice Chaudhry said the bench needed time to go through the
In his confessional statement, Kasab had named Lakhvi
as the mastermind behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed
A special court in Mumbai recently convicted Kasab, a
Pakistani national, on charges of murder and waging war
against India and sentenced him to death.
Lakhvi is being tried with six other suspects by the
Lakhvi`s counsel earlier told the apex court that his
client was declared an accused in the Mumbai attacks case in
light of Kasab`s statement recorded by an Indian magistrate.
Sultan contended that Kasab’s statement was not before
any Pakistani court and so Lakhvi could not be named as an
accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days