Pak SC angry over prisoners’ miserable condition
Islamabad: The Pakistan Supreme Court has expressed anger over the miserable condition of seven Adiala Jail prisoners, who are detained in an internment centre in Landikotal and issued notices in this regard to the attorney general, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) advocate general and counsel for the ISI and MI to submit their replies by Thursday.
A three-member bench headed by Pakistan Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry was hearing Rafia Bibi’s petition, The Daily Times reports.
Rafia, the mother of three prisoners, had died of a heart attack after seeing the miserable condition of her sons on February 13.
Justice Chaudhary questioned counsel for the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) and Military Intelligence (MI) Raja Muhammad Irshad about the miserable condition of the prisoners.
“We would not allow anyone to badly treat the prisoners,” Justice Chaudhary said.
Irshad said Kyber Pakhtunkhwa chief secretary and provincial government were responsible in this regard.
KP Advocate General Asadullah Chamkani informed the bench that the internment centre was located in Federally Administered Tribal Areas and therefore fell under the governor’s jurisdiction.
The counsel for the missing prisoners, Asad, told the court that the lives of seven of 11 prisoners, who were allegedly picked up by the agencies, were in danger.
He added that five of them, including Dr Niaz Ahmed, Abdul Basit, Gulrose, Muhammad Shafiq and Shafiqur Rehman, were detained in a deplorable condition in the internment centre in Landikotal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city