Pak SC asks Husain Haqqani to appear before it within 3 weeks
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday warned that it would ask authorities to cancel the passport of former Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani if he did not appear in court within three weeks in connection with a probe into a mysterious memo that allegedly sought American help to stave off a military coup.
A nine-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry rejected Haqqani`s petition asking that he be exempted from personally appearing in court due to security concerns.
The bench gave him a last chance to appear before it within three weeks.
Haqqani is currently in the US and has refused to appear in the Supreme Court due to threats from jihadi groups and "elements within the state apparatus" that back terrorists.
Haqqani`s lawyer, Asma Jahangir, has said he was not given the "right to due process completely".
However, the apex court said it would take punitive action such as asking authorities to cancel Haqqani?s passport if he did not return to Pakistan.
The bench was hearing the case of a controversial memo allegedly sent byHaqqani to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen seeking US intervention to avert a possible overthrow of the Pakistan government in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden in May 2011.
A judicial commission set up by the apex court concluded last year that Haqqani was responsible for the mysterious memo, which was made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
During a hearing last month, the Supreme Court had directed Interior Secretary Khwaja Siddiq Akbar to provide foolproof security to Haqqani on his return to Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?