Pak SC asks Husain Haqqani to appear before it within 3 weeks
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday warned that it would ask authorities to cancel the passport of former Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani if he did not appear in court within three weeks in connection with a probe into a mysterious memo that allegedly sought American help to stave off a military coup.
A nine-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry rejected Haqqani`s petition asking that he be exempted from personally appearing in court due to security concerns.
The bench gave him a last chance to appear before it within three weeks.
Haqqani is currently in the US and has refused to appear in the Supreme Court due to threats from jihadi groups and "elements within the state apparatus" that back terrorists.
Haqqani`s lawyer, Asma Jahangir, has said he was not given the "right to due process completely".
However, the apex court said it would take punitive action such as asking authorities to cancel Haqqani?s passport if he did not return to Pakistan.
The bench was hearing the case of a controversial memo allegedly sent byHaqqani to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen seeking US intervention to avert a possible overthrow of the Pakistan government in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden in May 2011.
A judicial commission set up by the apex court concluded last year that Haqqani was responsible for the mysterious memo, which was made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
During a hearing last month, the Supreme Court had directed Interior Secretary Khwaja Siddiq Akbar to provide foolproof security to Haqqani on his return to Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC