Pak SC bans land deals around minority shrines
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Wednesday imposed a complete ban on the transfer and development of land around shrines of minority communities in the wake of allegations about the illegal sale of a gurdwara`s property by a state-run body.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, which was hearing a case regarding the illegal sale of the gurdwara`s land by the Evacuee Trust Property Board, ruled there would be a complete ban on transfer of such land as well as development of roads or any development work.
The Chief Justice said all minorities are safeguarded by the Constitution and the law does not allow anyone to take unconstitutional steps.
"The court will decide according to the Constitution of Pakistan. Our Constitution gives protection to all the minorities," he said.
Mastan Singh, president of the Sikh Council of Pakistan, informed the court that 140 plots of one kanal each of a gurdwara at Chuna Mani in Lahore were allegedly sold by the ETPB.
Singh further said some construction work had already begun on the gurdwara`s land.
Hamid Khan, the counsel for ETPB, said the property was exchanged and the gurdwara was given a separate piece of land.
But the bench asked Khan to quote the law under which the land was sold by the ETPB.
Khan contended there are certain provisions in the law that give the federal government the right to sell the lands of minorities.
The court sought a response from the Attorney General before adjourning the matter for three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack