Pak SC bans land deals around minority shrines
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Wednesday imposed a complete ban on the transfer and development of land around shrines of minority communities in the wake of allegations about the illegal sale of a gurdwara`s property by a state-run body.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, which was hearing a case regarding the illegal sale of the gurdwara`s land by the Evacuee Trust Property Board, ruled there would be a complete ban on transfer of such land as well as development of roads or any development work.
The Chief Justice said all minorities are safeguarded by the Constitution and the law does not allow anyone to take unconstitutional steps.
"The court will decide according to the Constitution of Pakistan. Our Constitution gives protection to all the minorities," he said.
Mastan Singh, president of the Sikh Council of Pakistan, informed the court that 140 plots of one kanal each of a gurdwara at Chuna Mani in Lahore were allegedly sold by the ETPB.
Singh further said some construction work had already begun on the gurdwara`s land.
Hamid Khan, the counsel for ETPB, said the property was exchanged and the gurdwara was given a separate piece of land.
But the bench asked Khan to quote the law under which the land was sold by the ETPB.
Khan contended there are certain provisions in the law that give the federal government the right to sell the lands of minorities.
The court sought a response from the Attorney General before adjourning the matter for three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you