Pak SC forms bench to hear treason case against Pervez Musharraf
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Saturday constituted a three-member bench to hear petitions seeking directions for initiating high treason trial against former President Pervez Musharraf for subverting the constitution and imposing emergency in 2007.
Justice Jawwad S Khawaja will head the bench that will include two other members, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, a Supreme Court statement said.
The bench will hear petitions in the case on Monday.
The court said that Musharraf`s lawyers had filed an application for constitution of a larger bench, seeking that the Chief Justice of Pakistan to consider important aspects of the matter and either constitute a full court or a larger bench to hear and decide on the petitions.
The government has not yet replied to the Supreme Court`s questions as to whether it wants to initiate high treason case against Musharraf.
Information Minister Arif Nizami, said the government is likely to submit a reply on Monday.
The Attorney General recently told the apex court that the mandate of the caretaker government is limited and that it wants to focus on the May 11 Parliamentary elections.
Judges had however remarked that the caretaker government can initiate the case.
The Senate yesterday passed a resolution, calling for high treason trial of Musharraf for subverting the constitution when he imposed emergency in 2007.
The Supreme Court`s statement said the Chief Justice passed the order for the formation of a three-member bench to hear petitions for Musharraf`s high treason trial.
Five petitions, seeking high treason proceedings against Musharraf, have been filed in the Supreme Court. They all have now been clubbed.
Legal experts are of the opinion that the high treason proceedings could be initiated on the government`s plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened