Pak SC issues contempt notice to Rehman Malik
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Wednesday issued a contempt notice to Interior Minister Rehman Malik for constituting a new investigating team to probe the alleged corruption in a state-run steel company without seeking its consent.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry issued the notice to Malik for violating its orders in connection with the Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM) case.
The bench directed Malik to respond to the notice in two weeks.
The court issued the contempt notice while announcing its verdict in a suo motu case regarding alleged irregularities in PSM involving Rs 26.5 billion.
The bench expressed its complete dissatisfaction and lack of trust in the probe conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency and said the case should be transferred to the National Accountability Bureau, Pakistan`s main anti-corruption watchdog.
The apex court directed the NAB chief to personally supervise the investigation and conclude the probe in three months.
The NAB chief was asked to submit a compliance report every 15 days.
The court also ordered the cancellation of bail granted to accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured