Pak SC issues notice to ex-PM Gilani over Haj corruption case
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notices to former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani and other officials to respond to allegations that the previous Pakistan Peoples Party-led government closed a probe into corruption in organising the Haj pilgrimage.
A three-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, which is investigating a multi-million rupee scam in organising the Haj, also issued notices to the Law Ministry and the Attorney General and directed the respondents to clarify their position regarding the "exemption" granted to the former premier.
The bench observed that the Law Ministry wrote a letter to the Investigation Officer, Hussain Asghar, and directed him not to conduct a probe against Gilani as he enjoyed immunity under the Constitution.
The bench directed the Law Ministry to present a copy of the letter and to explain the reasons for writing the letter.
The Chief Justice questioned how Gilani could seek exemption as he was no longer the premier.
Gilani had to resign as premier last year after the apex court convicted him of contempt for refusing to reopen a graft case against President Asif Ali Zardari.
During the hearing in the apex court, Investigation Officer Asghar alleged that Gilani`s assets had increased "dramatically" after the Haj scam.
He said the Law Ministry had directed him not to proceed with the inquiry against Gilani.
The Chief Justice sought details about the persons arrested in connection with the scandal and Asghar replied that former Religious Affairs Minister Hamid Saeed Kazmi was arrested and later freed on bail.
Asghar said several other persons had also been arrested.
The case was later adjourned for two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!