Pak SC rejects CJ`s son`s application for FIR against tycoon
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday rejected a request from Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry`s son for directing authorities to register an FIR against a real estate tycoon who allegedly paid him up to Rs 400 million to influence cases in the apex court.
The application filed by Arsalan Iftikhar`s counsel was rejected by the Supreme Court registrar`s office, which said the request should be made to the bench hearing the case.
In his application, Iftikhar had called for the registration of an FIR against Malik Riaz Hussain, the owner of Bahria Town real estate firm, for alleging that he possessed photos and video footage of Iftikhar`s visits to London that were allegedly paid for by the tycoon`s relatives.
Iftikhar filed the application after TV anchors said on a talk show last night that Hussain had photos and videos of the Chief Justice`s son`s visits to London during 2009-11.
Iftikhar contended these allegations were "objectionable" and amounted to "character assassination".
He said Hussain should be directed to produce any evidence he possessed.
The chief Justice`s son further asked the court to direct authorities to provide him security as he had concerns about his safety.
The Chief Justice initiated suo moto proceedings against Iftikhar but later recused himself from the case against his son last week following criticism from legal experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray