Pak SC rejects CJ`s son`s application for FIR against tycoon
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday rejected a request from Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry`s son for directing authorities to register an FIR against a real estate tycoon who allegedly paid him up to Rs 400 million to influence cases in the apex court.
The application filed by Arsalan Iftikhar`s counsel was rejected by the Supreme Court registrar`s office, which said the request should be made to the bench hearing the case.
In his application, Iftikhar had called for the registration of an FIR against Malik Riaz Hussain, the owner of Bahria Town real estate firm, for alleging that he possessed photos and video footage of Iftikhar`s visits to London that were allegedly paid for by the tycoon`s relatives.
Iftikhar filed the application after TV anchors said on a talk show last night that Hussain had photos and videos of the Chief Justice`s son`s visits to London during 2009-11.
Iftikhar contended these allegations were "objectionable" and amounted to "character assassination".
He said Hussain should be directed to produce any evidence he possessed.
The chief Justice`s son further asked the court to direct authorities to provide him security as he had concerns about his safety.
The Chief Justice initiated suo moto proceedings against Iftikhar but later recused himself from the case against his son last week following criticism from legal experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says