Pak SC rejects CJ`s son`s application for FIR against tycoon
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday rejected a request from Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry`s son for directing authorities to register an FIR against a real estate tycoon who allegedly paid him up to Rs 400 million to influence cases in the apex court.
The application filed by Arsalan Iftikhar`s counsel was rejected by the Supreme Court registrar`s office, which said the request should be made to the bench hearing the case.
In his application, Iftikhar had called for the registration of an FIR against Malik Riaz Hussain, the owner of Bahria Town real estate firm, for alleging that he possessed photos and video footage of Iftikhar`s visits to London that were allegedly paid for by the tycoon`s relatives.
Iftikhar filed the application after TV anchors said on a talk show last night that Hussain had photos and videos of the Chief Justice`s son`s visits to London during 2009-11.
Iftikhar contended these allegations were "objectionable" and amounted to "character assassination".
He said Hussain should be directed to produce any evidence he possessed.
The chief Justice`s son further asked the court to direct authorities to provide him security as he had concerns about his safety.
The Chief Justice initiated suo moto proceedings against Iftikhar but later recused himself from the case against his son last week following criticism from legal experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested