Pak SC returns govt`s NRO petition with objections
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court has returned with objections a government petition which asked it to set aside its verdict scrapping a controversial graft amnesty that benefited President Asif Ali Zardari and thousands of others.
The office of the Supreme Court`s registrar said the petition was time-barred and no application was filed for its condonation.
Another objection raised by the apex court was that some of the documents filed with the petition were in the Swiss language and the government had not provided a translation.
The registrar`s office further said that the prayers in the review petition were not related to the main case.
Government lawyer Kamal Azfar had recently filed the petition which asked the apex court to set aside its verdict striking down the National Reconciliation Ordinance in the interest of justice.
The petition had argued that the NRO issued by former president Pervez Musharraf enabled leaders of main political parties to return to Pakistan from self-exile and participate in free and fair elections that paved the way for the transition from military dictatorship to democracy.
This process of reconciliation led to the restoration of democracy, the release of detained members of the judiciary and their eventual restoration by the democratic government, it said.
The entire nation had directly benefited from the NRO as a military dictator, Musharraf, had shed his uniform and a better atmosphere of tolerance between the government and opposition parties was ushered in, it said.
On December 16 last year, a 17-member bench of the Supreme Court had struck down the NRO, describing it as unconstitutional and illegal.
It also said the law passed by former military ruler Musharraf was against the national interest as it was meant to give benefits to a class of people.
In addition, the apex court directed the government to contact Swiss authorities to revive cases against president Zardari, which were closed at the request of former Attorney General Malik Qayyum during Musharraf`s regime.
The government had filed a review petition on January 16 but it too was returned by the apex court on technical grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced