Pak SC seeks details of all prisoners on death row
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Tuesday sought details of all prisoners on death row in jails across the country in response to a petition that raised the issue of pending mercy petitions.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali issued the directive in response to the constitutional petition filed by Yaqoob Bhatti, a prisoner.
The bench was told by a lawyer during today`s proceedings that a total of 6,355 prisoners were on death row while 896 appeals were filed in the Supreme Court and another 27 in the Federal Shariah Court.
The lawyer asked the court to direct authorities to make a clear decision about the fate of such prisoners.
A Deputy Attorney General requested the bench to grant him time so that he could assist it with all relevant details.
The bench adjourned the matter and said the Supreme Court`s office would set the date for the next hearing.
Indian national Sarabjit Singh is among the prisoners on death row in Pakistani jails.
He was convicted for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in 1990 though his execution was indefinitely put off in 2008 by the federal government.
Parliamentary Secretary for Interior Rao Mujtaba Kharal yesterday informed the National Assembly or lower house of parliament that no civilian had been executed during the past four years.
Speaking during Question Hour, Kharal said currently 65 convicts were awaiting the implementation of their death sentences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler