Pak SC seeks Kasab`s confessional statement
Islamabad: Pakistan Supreme Court on Wednesday
sought the confessional statement of Ajmal Kasab, convicted in
India for his role in the Mumbai attacks, while hearing LeT
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi`s petition seeking his
acquittal in a case related to 26/11 strikes here.
A three-judge bench comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhry and Justices Ghulam Rabbani and Khalil-ur-Rehman
Ramday gave the directive after taking up the petition filed
by Lakhvi, who is being tried with six others by the anti-
terrorism court in Rawalpindi on charges of planning and
facilitating the Mumbai attacks.
The apex court bench also took up a separate petition
filed by the prosecution to challenge the Lahore High Court`s
verdict that Kasab`s statement cannot be used in Pakistani
Lakhvi`s counsel Khwaja Sultan told the bench that his
client was declared an accused in the Mumbai attacks case in
the anti-terrorism court in the light of Kasab`s statement
recorded by an Indian magistrate.
Sultan contended that Kasab`s statement was not before
any Pakistani court and so Lakhvi cannot be named as an
accused in the case.
After hearing Sultan`s arguments, Chief Justice
Chaudhry directed the prosecution to submit Kasab`s
confessional statement in Hindi and English in the Supreme
Court and adjourned the matter till May 11.
Special Public Prosecutor Malik Rab Nawaz Noon, who is
heading the prosecution team, told that the apex court had
sought Kasab`s statement with the signature of the Indian
magistrate who had recorded it.
Noon said the prosecution, in its petition related to
the Lahore High Court`s verdict, had asked the apex court to
expunge certain observations made by the High Court.
Lakhvi and the six other suspects - Zarar Shah, Abu
al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Younas Anjum and
Jamil Ahmed ? have been booked under the Anti-Terrorism Act,
Pakistan Penal Code and a cyber crimes law.
The next hearing in their trial by the anti-terrorism
court is scheduled for May 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?