Pak SC suspends Ispahani`s membership of Parl
Islamabad: The Supreme Court on Friday suspended senior Pakistan People`s Party leader Farahnaz Ispahani`s membership of parliament on the ground that she possesses dual Pakistani and American citizenship and barred her from attending parliamentary sessions.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry issued the order suspending Ispahani`s membership of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament while hearing a petition challenging the dual nationality of several lawmakers, including Interior Minister Rehman Malik.
The bench said Ispahani`s suspension would be valid till it gives its final order in the case.
The bench observed that Ispahani`s reply stated that she was naturally born citizen of Pakistan and also possessed US citizenship by virtue of the permission granted by the Citizenship Act of 1951 and the Constitution of Pakistan.
The apex court noted that holding of dual nationality by members of parliament contravened Article 63 (1c) of the Constitution.
Ispahani is the media advisor to President Asif Ali Zardari and wife of Pakistan`s former envoy to the US, Husain Haqqani.
Her husband was forced to quit his position last year after he was linked to a mysterious memorandum that had sought US help to prevent a feared military coup in Pakistan after the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Earlier, Advocate on Record Chaudhry Akhtar Ali submitted a written reply on behalf of Ispahani and said the court had no jurisdiction to go into such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?