Pak SC to hear Haqqani`s plea to testify via video
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court will tomorrow hear former envoy Husain Haqqani`s plea to testify via video link from abroad on a mysterious memo before a judicial commission, which has warned that an arrest warrant could be issued if he does not return to the country.
A ten-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will take up Haqqani`s petition, which asks that he should be allowed to record his statement with the commission via a video link.
Haqqani, who is currently abroad, contended in his petition that he could not return to Pakistan as he had grave security concerns because of many frivolous and sensational allegations levelled by American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, the main accuser in the memo scandal.
Several intelligence agencies were in contact with Ijaz
and his family feared for his life in case he travelled to
Pakistan, Haqqani contended.
Noting that Ijaz had been allowed to testify via a video
link from London, Haqqani said he should be given the same
The Supreme Court-appointed judicial commission has
already rejected a similar petition from Haqqani.
After Haqqani failed to appear before the commission on
March 26, the panel gave the former envoy a final opportunity
to record his statement.
The commission warned that it could attach Haqqani`s
property and issue an arrest warrant to ensure his attendance
or initiate contempt of court proceedings against him if he
failed to comply with its orders.
The commission has also sought an extension from the
Supreme Court as its term is set to end on March 31.
The next hearing is expected to be scheduled after the
court grants an extension.
Haqqani was forced to resign as Pakistan`s envoy to the
US last year after Ijaz made public a mysterious memo that had
sought US help to stave off a feared coup after the killing of
Osama bin Laden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands