Pak schoolboy who set himself afire dies
Lahore: A 12-year-old schoolboy who set himself afire after his father refused to appear before the headmaster of his school in Pakistan`s Punjab province has died, officials said on Saturday.
Omar Khalid, a grade VI student of Government MC School in Faisalabad district, 100-km from Lahore, was reportedly upset over his expulsion from school.
After his father Khalid Ahmed, a butcher, refused to appear along with him before the headmaster, Khalid set himself on fire yesterday.
Khalid succumbed to his injuries late last night and was buried today, officials said.
Ahmed said his son was expelled from school for being absent for a few days.
He said his son asked him to accompany him to the school as the headmaster had told him not to come without his father.
After the father refused, Khalid purchased kerosene from a grocery shop and set himself on fire.
Before his death, Khalid recorded his statement with a magistrate and said teachers at his school had tortured him.
He also told a doctor in the hospital that he had taken the extreme step because of his father`s refusal to accompany him to school.
Khalid`s mother Shagufta Bibi alleged that the teachers, especially headmaster Ghulam Farid, used to torture her son.
Farid has denied the allegations.
Following the boy`s death, police arrested Farid and registered a case against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi