Pak schoolboy who set himself afire dies
Lahore: A 12-year-old schoolboy who set himself afire after his father refused to appear before the headmaster of his school in Pakistan`s Punjab province has died, officials said on Saturday.
Omar Khalid, a grade VI student of Government MC School in Faisalabad district, 100-km from Lahore, was reportedly upset over his expulsion from school.
After his father Khalid Ahmed, a butcher, refused to appear along with him before the headmaster, Khalid set himself on fire yesterday.
Khalid succumbed to his injuries late last night and was buried today, officials said.
Ahmed said his son was expelled from school for being absent for a few days.
He said his son asked him to accompany him to the school as the headmaster had told him not to come without his father.
After the father refused, Khalid purchased kerosene from a grocery shop and set himself on fire.
Before his death, Khalid recorded his statement with a magistrate and said teachers at his school had tortured him.
He also told a doctor in the hospital that he had taken the extreme step because of his father`s refusal to accompany him to school.
Khalid`s mother Shagufta Bibi alleged that the teachers, especially headmaster Ghulam Farid, used to torture her son.
Farid has denied the allegations.
Following the boy`s death, police arrested Farid and registered a case against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez