Pak security forces kill two militants in Swat
Peshawar: Pakistani security forces Wednesday
killed two Taliban fighters in the restive Swat district while
over 1,000 people were evacuated from their homes during a
search operation in the region to locate a militant commander.
Officials said two militants opened fire at troops
that were conducting a search operation at Baidara village in
The troops retaliated and killed both militants, who
were wanted by police for several crimes.
In Kanju area of Swat, over 1000 people were evacuated
from their homes following reports of the presence of a
militant commander in the region.
Troops launched a combing operation that lasted five
hours but made no arrests, officials said.
Announcements were made over loudspeakers from
mosques, urging males to come out of their houses and gather
at the Saidu Sharif airport.
The people were allowed to go back to their homes
after the operation was completed.
In another development, security forces released a
list of 96 wanted militants belonging to Koza Bandai, a former
Taliban stronghold in Swat.
The list has been displayed at prominent places in the
area, asking the militants to surrender and face cases against
them in courts.
Authorities have warned the militants that their
families would be evicted from the area if they failed to
The security forces also announced a reward of Rs 2
lakh for people who give information about militants present
in the area.
Meanwhile, Australian Army chief Lt Gen Kenneth James
Gillespie today visited Swat valley and was briefed on the law
and order situation by senior Pakistani military officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Modi, Putin vow to take forward India-Russia ties
- Euro 2016: Spain prepared for clash against 'powerful' Italy, says Iniesta
- READ: How Mahendra Singh Dhoni 'bowled over' this Pakistani model with his calmness
- People want to take their country back, Trump says in Scotland after Brexit vote
- Sanders says he will vote for Clinton in November election