Pak seeks $11 bn investment from China
Beijing: Amid strains in its ties with the US, Pakistan has asked its all-weather ally China to invest over USD 11 billion in its various energy projects.
Pakistan envisions a Chinese investment of more than USD 11 billion in the energy sector during the next five years, Islamabad`s envoy here, Masood Khan, said.
He was speaking at a Road Show held here for management, operation, maintenance and rehabilitation of the nine public sector thermal power complexes through private sector Operation and Maintenance contractors by Pakistan`s Private Infrastructure Board (PPIB), Pakistan`s state-run APP news agency reported.
Khan said that a major part of Pak-China economic cooperation is focused on energy development to be routed though the privatisation of the PPIB which generates 8000 mw of power through different sources.
The first Pakistan-China Joint Energy Working Group (JEWG) meeting held here two months ago has identified a vast array of coal, hydro, thermal and alternate energy projects.
At the JEWG meeting, Pakistan`s Water and Power Minister Syed Naveed Qamar had proposed 19 new energy projects to China to overcome power crisis, in addition to a host of hydro and nuclear energy projects currently being implemented.
The new proposed projects include four power generation plants of 2,297 megawatts and one coal power project of 405 megawatts.
Besides constructing two nuclear power reactors of 350 mw each at Chashma, China has committed to build two more in addition to a one giga mw nuclear power project, which could only be possible after Beijing fully develops the mega reactors as it cannot export foreign technology which it currently uses.
Also, China is assisting in three major dams, including USD 13 billion Diamer-Basha dam in Gilgit-Baltistan in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), which has a planned capacity of 4500 mw.
India has expressed its reservations to China over projects in the PoK region.
Meanwhile, a Chinese expert has cautioned Beijing about investments in Pakistan, citing risks owing to political and economic uncertainties in that country despite close ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read