Pak seeks to bridge trust deficit with US: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan wants to bridge an
existing trust deficit and develop a solid framework for long
term relations during its upcoming strategic dialogue with the
US, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Saturday.
"The objective of the strategic dialogue is to enhance
the people-to-people strategic relationship, which will bridge
the trust deficit," Gilani said while chairing a meeting of
the country’s top civil and military leaders to develop a
comprehensive and coordinated approach for the parleys.
Outlining his vision for the dialogue, Gilani said his
government’s "objective is not only to upgrade the dialogue
status, enhancing the Pakistan-US partnership to the
ministerial level, but also to develop a solid and enduring
framework for long-term Pakistan-US relations".
The Pakistan-US strategic dialogue is scheduled to be
held on in Washington on March 24. The talks will cover
economic, defence, security and social sectors, said a
statement from the Prime Minister’s House.
A number of other proposals, such as a structured
dialogue process envisaging cooperation with the US to review
the status of ongoing programmes and projects, will be taken
up in the talks.
Gilani directed concerned ministries to identify
specific programmes and projects in each sector in line with
short and long-term national development priorities. He
instructed the ministries to clearly indicate priority areas
that require support and technical aid.
Water and Power Minister Raja Parvaiz Ashraf, army
chief Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and other top military and
civil officers attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir