Pak seeks to bridge trust deficit with US: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan wants to bridge an
existing trust deficit and develop a solid framework for long
term relations during its upcoming strategic dialogue with the
US, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Saturday.
"The objective of the strategic dialogue is to enhance
the people-to-people strategic relationship, which will bridge
the trust deficit," Gilani said while chairing a meeting of
the country’s top civil and military leaders to develop a
comprehensive and coordinated approach for the parleys.
Outlining his vision for the dialogue, Gilani said his
government’s "objective is not only to upgrade the dialogue
status, enhancing the Pakistan-US partnership to the
ministerial level, but also to develop a solid and enduring
framework for long-term Pakistan-US relations".
The Pakistan-US strategic dialogue is scheduled to be
held on in Washington on March 24. The talks will cover
economic, defence, security and social sectors, said a
statement from the Prime Minister’s House.
A number of other proposals, such as a structured
dialogue process envisaging cooperation with the US to review
the status of ongoing programmes and projects, will be taken
up in the talks.
Gilani directed concerned ministries to identify
specific programmes and projects in each sector in line with
short and long-term national development priorities. He
instructed the ministries to clearly indicate priority areas
that require support and technical aid.
Water and Power Minister Raja Parvaiz Ashraf, army
chief Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and other top military and
civil officers attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore