`Pak sees itself being at war with US’
Washington: US Congressman Dana Rohrabacher in reaction to Dr Shakil Afridi`s sentence said the decision was ``decisive proof`` that Pakistan sees itself as being at war with the United States.
"This is decisive proof Pakistan sees itself as being at war with us," The News quoted Rohrabacher, as saying.
"I think his work on behalf of the effort to take down bin Laden was in Pakistan`s interest, as well as the US interest," he added.
Afridi, who had helped the CIA track down Osama bin Laden, has been convicted of high treason and sentenced to 33 years in prison, a US official has confirmed.
He was also ordered to pay a fine of USD 3,500 and failing to pay the fine, he will spend another three and half years in prison.
Previously, Afridi ran a vaccination program for the CIA to collect DNA and verified bin Laden`s presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad, where he was killed by the US Navy SEALS last May.
Rohrabacher had earlier spoken openly against Afridi`s arrest, saying, "There is no shared interest against Islamic terrorism".
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has also called for Afridi to be released, saying his work served Pakistani and American interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?