Pak: Seven killed in twin blasts in Karachi
Karachi: At least seven persons were killed and 15 more injured when two improvised explosive devices went off in a crowded commercial area in the Pakistani financial hub of Karachi Tuesday evening, officials and witnesses said.
The explosions took place near a shopping mall just outside the bustling Hyderi market and the number of casualties could increase.
Senior Superintendent of Police Asim Qaimkhani told a news agency that the explosions appeared to have been caused by remote controlled devices fixed in motorcycles in the parking lot of a shopping mall, Dolmen Mall.
"The explosions were severe and loud and have caused lot of damage. The police is presently busy in trying to clear the area to avoid anymore casualties," he said.
A witness told a TV news channel that the first blast occurred in a garbage dump and second near a car in a parking lot.
Geo News channel reported that seven people had been killed while several injured were being rushed to hospitals.
Officials of the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital said they had received six bodies, including that of a young girl. At least 15 injured people were taken to nearby hospitals.
No group claimed responsibility for the blasts.
The bombs contained several kilograms of explosives and were packed with pellets or ball bearings that caused extensive damage to nearby buildings, police officials said.
The powerful blasts, heard from several kilometres away, blew out the windows of several buildings.
Several cars and a motorcycle were damaged by the blasts, which police officials said were caused by IEDs planted in the area. Footage on television showed several damaged cars and carts.
Police and paramilitary forces cordoned off the area as rescue workers rushed the injured to hospital.
The area where the explosions occurred has a sizeable population of the minority Bohra community.
On August 13, police had found an explosive device in the same area.
Today`s explosions took place on a day when protests continued in the southern part of the city against a film deemed offensive to Islam which led to clashes between the police and protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA