Pak students to protest Rushdie books` inclusion
Islamabad: The proposed inclusion of two famous works of India-born Booker Prize winner author Salman Rushdie in the additional courses for M. Phil and PhD at the University of Peshawar has raised the ire of students and teachers.
The students are planning protests at the university campus and elsewhere in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa province over the inclusion of two of the Rushdie`s works `Midnight`s Children` and `Shame` by the department of English and Applied Linguistics.
The department`s faculty board had approved these books in the curriculum for additional courses for MPhil and PhD.
A proposal was submitted to the dean of the faculty of arts and humanities for approval by the Academic Council of the university, The News reported today.
The Academic Council, which met recently with the acting vice-chancellor Qibla Ayaz in the chair, approved the proposal "without even discussing it", the report said.
It further said that the students planned the protests as they considered Rushdie a "notorious blasphemer".
A member of the Academic Council expressed ignorance about the matter.
He said that the Academic Council had met after three years and the body had a lot of things to do.
"We could do nothing but approve each and everything. This also must have been approved without discussion," the unnamed official told the daily.
Earlier this year, cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan decided not to attend an event in India after learning that Rushdie would be present too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you