Pak summons Afghan envoy over Taliban attack
Islamabad: Pakistan on Saturday summoned the
Afghan Charge d`Affaires to the Foreign Ministry here to lodge
a protest on morning attack by hundreds of Taliban militants,
who swarmed across from Afghanistan to attack several army
posts in Chitral area in northwestern border killing 26
The Afghan Charge d`Affairs was conveyed the imperative of
establishing peace and tranquility in the border region and
effectively dealing with terrorists, Pakistan Foreign Ministry
said in a statement.
"The activities of the terrorists are a matter of great
concern to both the governments and people of Pakistan and
Afghanistan. They cannot be allowed to continue such blatant
attacks from across the border," it added.
The statement said it is Pakistan`s expectation that ISAF
(International Security Assistance Force) and the Afghan
National Army would take effective measures to prevent such
incursions by militants from safe havens from across the
border in Kunar and Nooristan and to enhance border security.
Meanwhile, an Army statement said militants from
Pakistan`s northwestern Swat valley, Dir district and Bajur
tribal region, organised by militant leaders Maulvi Fazlullah
and Maulvi Faqir Muhammad with local Afghans, have attacked
the security forces` posts in Chitral.
Sources said that Fazaullah fled to Afghanistan after
security forces launched a major offensive against the
militants in 2009 and cleared the area of the militants.
Maulvi Faqir, deputy chief of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
escaped to Afghanistan last year from Bajaur.
"Since their expulsion from their native areas, the
terrorists have organised themselves in Kunar and Nooristan
Provinces with the support of local Afghan authorities," the
"Due to scanty presence of NATO and ANA forces along
Pak-Afghan border, the terrorists are using these areas as
safe havens and have mounted repeated attacks against
security forces posts and isolated villages," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read