Pak summons Afghan envoy over Taliban attack
Islamabad: Pakistan on Saturday summoned the
Afghan Charge d`Affaires to the Foreign Ministry here to lodge
a protest on morning attack by hundreds of Taliban militants,
who swarmed across from Afghanistan to attack several army
posts in Chitral area in northwestern border killing 26
The Afghan Charge d`Affairs was conveyed the imperative of
establishing peace and tranquility in the border region and
effectively dealing with terrorists, Pakistan Foreign Ministry
said in a statement.
"The activities of the terrorists are a matter of great
concern to both the governments and people of Pakistan and
Afghanistan. They cannot be allowed to continue such blatant
attacks from across the border," it added.
The statement said it is Pakistan`s expectation that ISAF
(International Security Assistance Force) and the Afghan
National Army would take effective measures to prevent such
incursions by militants from safe havens from across the
border in Kunar and Nooristan and to enhance border security.
Meanwhile, an Army statement said militants from
Pakistan`s northwestern Swat valley, Dir district and Bajur
tribal region, organised by militant leaders Maulvi Fazlullah
and Maulvi Faqir Muhammad with local Afghans, have attacked
the security forces` posts in Chitral.
Sources said that Fazaullah fled to Afghanistan after
security forces launched a major offensive against the
militants in 2009 and cleared the area of the militants.
Maulvi Faqir, deputy chief of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
escaped to Afghanistan last year from Bajaur.
"Since their expulsion from their native areas, the
terrorists have organised themselves in Kunar and Nooristan
Provinces with the support of local Afghan authorities," the
"Due to scanty presence of NATO and ANA forces along
Pak-Afghan border, the terrorists are using these areas as
safe havens and have mounted repeated attacks against
security forces posts and isolated villages," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read