Pak Supreme Court questions `competence of intel agencies`
Islamabad: The Pakistani Supreme Court has raised serious questions about the competence of intelligence agencies, and added that someone must be held responsible for the failure to protect the people of Balochistan.
Conducting the hearing of the Hazara killings suo moto case, Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry remarked if former chief minister Nawab Aslam Raisani could be held responsible for a previous attack, then why not the prime minister or the governor for the recent one.
He also said the court would not order deployment of army in Balochistan, adding it would not go beyond its limit, the Nation reports.
According to the paper, Chaudhry expressed dissatisfaction over the response from the interior and defence secretaries.
He asked Interior Secretary Khawaja Siddique Akbar and Deputy Attorney General Shafi Chandio to submit a detailed report on the questions of the competence of intelligence agencies during the course of the day, to the Registrar Office.
According to the paper, Interior Secretary Khawaja Akbar and Defence Secretary Lt-Gen (retired) Asif Yasin Malik could not satisfy the chief justice as to why the intelligence agencies failed to gather information about those targeting the Hazara community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'