`Pak taking US support to check IEDs’ use`
Islamabad: Pakistan is taking practical measures with the support of the United States to check Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) by terrorists, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
“Practical measures are being taken with the support of United States to check IEDs, also known as homemade roadside bombs which are responsible for the killing of thousands of people in the country,” the Daily Times quoted Malik, as saying at a press briefing with the US Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Law, William Brownfield.
Malik said suicide bombers used IEDs, by detonating them through a remote control or by a stopwatch or with the help of chemicals, adding that all these IEDs had been detected being used to launch suicide attacks in the country.
Following the first round of fourth Pak-US dialogue on Law Enforcement and Counter Terrorism focusing on countering IEDs, he said that Pakistan –Afghanistan border was a major concern as militants were attacking Pakistan security forces using IEDs.
In collaboration with the US, Pakistan would initiate a programme for imparting training to the personnel of law-enforcement agencies to check IEDs, Malik said.
“We are going to introduce a law on IEDs. We are also going to constitute a forum comprising members from law-enforcement agencies, including the army. We are grateful to the US for their help and support. Their senior officials are here and we will learn a lot from them”, he added.
Malik also said he had issued directives for conducting orientation classes for all academies, training centres of police and law-enforcement agencies to inform them about IEDs, their lethal effects and how to deal with them.
He said fertilizer was reportedly being exported to Afghanistan to be used in the preparation of IEDs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM