`Pak taking US support to check IEDs’ use`
Islamabad: Pakistan is taking practical measures with the support of the United States to check Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) by terrorists, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
“Practical measures are being taken with the support of United States to check IEDs, also known as homemade roadside bombs which are responsible for the killing of thousands of people in the country,” the Daily Times quoted Malik, as saying at a press briefing with the US Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Law, William Brownfield.
Malik said suicide bombers used IEDs, by detonating them through a remote control or by a stopwatch or with the help of chemicals, adding that all these IEDs had been detected being used to launch suicide attacks in the country.
Following the first round of fourth Pak-US dialogue on Law Enforcement and Counter Terrorism focusing on countering IEDs, he said that Pakistan –Afghanistan border was a major concern as militants were attacking Pakistan security forces using IEDs.
In collaboration with the US, Pakistan would initiate a programme for imparting training to the personnel of law-enforcement agencies to check IEDs, Malik said.
“We are going to introduce a law on IEDs. We are also going to constitute a forum comprising members from law-enforcement agencies, including the army. We are grateful to the US for their help and support. Their senior officials are here and we will learn a lot from them”, he added.
Malik also said he had issued directives for conducting orientation classes for all academies, training centres of police and law-enforcement agencies to inform them about IEDs, their lethal effects and how to deal with them.
He said fertilizer was reportedly being exported to Afghanistan to be used in the preparation of IEDs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India