Pak Taliban chief Fazlullah killed?
Peshawar: Maulana Fazlullah, the chief of the Pakistani Taliban in the restive Swat valley, has apparently been killed along with six other militants in a clash with Afghan border forces in that country`s Nuristan province, intelligence sources said Thursday.
Fazlullah, who was known as `Mullah FM` for his fiery sermons broadcast on an illegal radio station, apparently died during yesterday`s clash with Afghan border forces, the
sources told reporters.
Six others militants are also believed to have been killed in the gun battle in Nuristan.
However, the report of Fazlullah`s death is yet to be officially confirmed, the sources said.
Clashes between Taliban militants, including those based in Pakistani, and Afghan forces had erupted in Nuristan province three days ago, the sources said.
However, Maulana Faqir Muhammad, the chief of the Pakistani Taliban in Bajaur tribal region, denied that Fazlullah had been killed in a gun battle.
In an interview to BBC in November last year, Fazlullah had said he had escaped to Afghanistan after fleeing a Pakistan army offensive against the Taliban in Swat valley.
Fazlullah and his militants had established a parallel administration that controlled most parts of Swat, a district located just 160 km from Islamabad.
The army wrested control of Swat from the Taliban after a prolonged offensive, though the militants have struck back in recent weeks by carrying out sporadic attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?