Pak Taliban chief`s cousin killed in US drone attack
Islamabad: A cousin of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud was among militants killed during a coordinated strike by US drones in South Waziristan tribal region, media reports said on Monday.
Wali Mohammad alias Toofan was killed when the drones targeted three compounds in the mountainous Babar area in South Waziristan, security officials were quoted as saying by the media.
Toofan, 26, was related to both Hakimullah Mehsud and Qari Hussain, a second cousin of the Pakistani Taliban chief and head of the wing responsible for suicide attacks.
Toofan was recently made the head of the Taliban`s "fidai wing" after Qari Hussain was killed in a drone strike in North Waziristan, the Dawn newspaper reported.
The drones fired at least 10 missiles that destroyed three compounds.
Media reports said between 10 and 17 militants were killed in the strikes.
One of the compounds that was targeted was being used by Punjabi Taliban leader Qari Imran.
Most of those killed belonged to the Mehsud tribe.
On January 3, warlord Mullah Nazir was killed along with 12 fighters in a US drone strike in South Waziristan.
He was the top militant commander in the region and was considered to be part of the "good Taliban" as he had finalised a peace deal with the security forces in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan