Pak Taliban claims responsibility for killing Chinese woman
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban on Thursday
claimed responsibility for the killing of a Chinese woman in
the northwestern city of Peshawar, saying she was shot dead in
retaliation for alleged atrocities by Chinese forces in
restive Xinjiang province.
Taliban spokesman Mohammad Afridi told the media that the
woman was killed to avenge "atrocities" by Chinese security
forces in Xinjiang, where 20 people died in violence earlier
Police in Peshawar have said they believe militants were
behind the killing of the Chinese woman and her Pakistani
companion in a crowded market in Peshawar on Tuesday.
Hua Jiang, the 42-year-old Chinese woman, was shot dead
with Suleman Shams, a student of the prestigious Government
College in Lahore.
Reports said the Chinese woman was a student of Beijing
University and was on a vacation in Peshawar. Shams was
apparently acting as her interpreter.
This was the second attack on Chinese nationals in
Peshawar in a little over four years.
Three Chinese men were killed in the city in July 2007.
China`s Foreign Office has taken the incident seriously
and called on Pakistan to investigate the crime and spare no
effort in bringing the perpetrators to justice.
It also sought "credible measures" to ensure the safety
of Chinese institutions and nationals in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof