Pak Taliban planning more terror attacks: Report
Islamabad: The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan is planning more terrorist attacks in Pakistan`s major cities, including Islamabad, Lahore, Multan, Peshawar and Bannu, according to a media report on Thursday.
The decision to carry out the attacks was taken at a secret meeting at which Taliban commander Qari Shafiullah Moavia was present, The Express Tribune quoted a confidential government report as saying.
The Taliban plans to kidnap serving and retired officers and US citizens to collect funds and to negotiate the release of militants being held in jails or in the custody of intelligence agencies.
The government report was forwarded to all provincial home departments, provincial police chiefs, provincial heads of law enforcement agencies and Islamabad chief commissioner by the National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) of the Interior Ministry.
Qari Moavia has assigned the task of carrying out the terrorist activities to Nauman Moavia.
The meeting held by the Taliban also devised a strategy for terrorist activities for a period of two months.
The Taliban have allowed leaders and fighters to rob banks and jewellery shops to gather funds for the purchase of transport, arms and ammunition.
After receiving an intelligence report, the NCMC directed law enforcement agencies to adopt security arrangements and ensure fool-proof security to avert any untoward incident.
Security was put on high alert across the country.
Another circular issued by the NCMC said the "the Ministry of Interior has expressed concern over a visible increase in activities of banned outfits in various parts of the country".
These banned organisations were involved in instigating people against the government by organising conferences, polarising society and precipitating unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report