Islamabad: A spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban has claimed that suspending mobile phone services in the country will not stop them from carrying out their activities.
According to a private TV channel report, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan, said in telephone conversation that the banned group did not carry out bombings using cellular phones as detonators.
“The Taliban cannot be stopped by jamming mobile phone services. We would achieve our targets in any case,” Ehsan added.
The militant group’s claim came on a day of cellular service suspension in several parts of the country, with the Interior Minister Rehman Malik announcing services would be blocked again Saturday morning for the next two days after a few hours of restoration Friday midnight, the Nation reports.
According to the paper, the move came as Malik recently claimed that 90 per cent of the bombs set off by militants in the country had been detonated using mobile phones.
The paper also said that Ehsan accused Malik of blocking cellular services for “his own personal business interests”.