Pak Taliban splits; Haqqani forms Taliban Islami
Islamabad: A Taliban commander in Pakistan`s volatile tribal belt has broken away from the militant outfit to form his own group as he is opposed to suicide attacks on mosques and civilians.
Fazal Saeed Haqqani, a commander in the Kurram tribal region, separated from the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and formed the Tehrik-e-Taliban Islami, Geo News channel reported.
Haqqani told the media that he had taken this step to protest suicide attacks on mosques and civilians.
The channel quoted its sources as saying that Haqqani earlier led TTP fighters in Kurram Agency and had step up training centres in several areas.
In the past, Haqqani`s associates kidnapped people and kept them in their training centres. They would then kill their captives or release them after being paid ransom, the channel reported.
Observers said the move by Haqqani could be part of efforts by the government and security forces to engineer a split in the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which is led by Hakimullah Mehsud.
There was no word from the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan on the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon: British No. 3 Kyle Edmund faces 1st round exit.
- 'Bad cholesterol not linked to elderly deaths'
- Women's Kabaddi challenge set for debut, to begin alongside men's Pro Kabaddi
- Shahid Kapoor’s on-screen cousin 'Jassi' from 'Udta Punjab' will make you go weak in the knees – Pics inside
- Woman raped by husband, his brothers in Rajasthan; Maneka Gandhi asks NCW to probe